Saturday, December 09, 2006

My Muse

It's a beautiful, cold Saturday morning and I'm staring at my computer trying to finish up my systematics paper. Systematic theology is trying to place an order to theology, recognizing that one way of thinking draws upon your view of Jesus, the Holy Spirit, God, the church, sin/grace, etc in a circular motion. Your theology should connect in a manner that does not contradict itself at one point...if it does, it's time to think some more.
So for my systematics paper I'm writing a paper on the Amish community in Pennsylvania that forgave the killer of the little girls in the schoolhouse. In my research, I've learned a lot about the Amish community and found a greater admiration of their lifestyle and commitment to a belief system that is not just words but a shaping of an ethical life. For the Amish, belief is not separate from actions...rather one's actions inform the community about your beliefs.
I think that my problem with finishing up this paper right now is because I've become very committed to the process and this paper. I don't want it to be bad because it is very important and full of implications to how the church should change and become transformed.
In hopes that I would do better with some inspiration, I've been listening to the Indigo Girls this morning. My professor, Dr. Don Saliers, is the father of Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls...so my hope is that his parenting of her, which undoubtedly influenced her songwriting, is going to be my muse for this paper. Perhaps by listening to Emily I'll figure out what Dr. Saliers would say on this situation and think of critiques and arguments from the other position.
I really do enjoy paper writing - I just wish that I had more time to do it sometimes.
Next week, I'll be doing research for a paper about the presence and function of "toil" in the book of Ecclesiastes. What will be my muse for that paper?

2 comments:

Dana B said...

toil muse possibilities:

Men at Work? "Oh! Do you come from a land down under?"

Donna Summer: "She works haaaaard for the money! So hard for it, honey. She works hard for the money, so you better treat her right!"

Dolly Parton: "Workin' 9 to 5, what a way to make a livin'"

Bachman-Turner Overdrive: "Takin' care of business and workin' overtime"

Loverboy: "Everybody's workin' for the weekend, everbody wants a little romance"

It's just a head-start on the TOIL playlist. Anyone else have suggestions?

Anonymous said...

7 Dwarfs: Heigh-Ho